Welcome to the Fun Zone!
Welcome to our FunZone, an interactive education section of our site. Whether it be pictures, trivia, quotes, or just “fun facts”, this will be an ever-changing section of our site.
- A dog’s nose has about 4 times as many scent cells as a cat’s and 14 times more than a human’s. That’s why dogs are oftern used to track down illegal drugs and missing persons. They can sniff out their dinner from any room in the house.
- Dogs see in color, but not the same way that we do. Veterinary Ophthalmologists have found that dogs are similar to people with red/green color blindness, meaning they can see bluish and greenish shades but not reddish ones. To a dog, a bright orange ball on a grassy lawn appears as a light greenish ball in a greenish grass.
- Contrary to popular belief, dogs do not sweat by salivating. They sweat through the pads of their feet. An estimated 1 million dogs in the United States have been named the primary beneficiary in their owner’s will.
- The dog was one of the first animals domesticated by humans.
- The heaviest dog ever weighed was 319 pounds.
- The oldest dog ever, died at age 29.
- Studies have shown that people who own pets live longer, have less stress, and have fewer heart attacks.
- Over 50% of all pet owners would rather be stranded on a desert island wit their pet, not another person.
- Acconding to a recent survey, the most popular name for a dog is Max. Other popular names include Molly, Sam, Zach, and Maggie.
- A cat will almost never meow at another cat. Cat’s use sound for humans.
- A cat can jump as much as 7 times its height.
- Cat’s cannot break a sweat because they have no sweat glands.
- A cat’s brain is more similar to a human’s brain than that of a dog.
- Cats can see color. Studies have shown that cat’s can distinguish between red and green; red and blue; red and gray; green and blue; green and gray; blue and gray; yellow and blue, and yellow and gray.
- A cat sees about 6 times better than a human at night.
- A cat’s tongue is scratchy because it’s lined with papillae- tiny backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place.
- A fifteen year old cat has probably spent ten years of it’s life sleeping.
- A frightened cat can run at speeds of up to 31mph, slightly faster than a human sprinter.
- A cat uses its whiskers as feelers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through.
- Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. “Roger Caras”
- I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. “Winston Churchill”
- Animals are such agreeable friends- they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms. “George Eliot”
- I have felt cats rubbing their face againist mine and touching my cheek with claws carefully sheathed. These things, to me, are expressions of love. “James Herriot”
- Money can buy you a fine dog, but only love can make him wag his tail. “Kinky Friedman”